Thursday, December 25, 2008

Top 5/Bottom 5 Christmas Songs

One of the things that many of us are subjected to during the holiday season is Christmas songs. I've noticed that there are some Christmas songs that really set my teeth on edge, and others that I love. I thought it might be fun to put together a list of my 5 most hated and 5 favorite Christmas songs.

I was actually surprised to find that I had a tough time narrowing down each list. I can actually think of more than 5 for each, but I wanted to keep things somewhat brief. So, without further ado...

My Bottom 5 Christmas Songs

5. The Little Drummer Boy - I don't have a particular version in mind here. The rum-pa-pa-pum part just beats me down. Although I can almost hang with the David Bowie/Bing Crosby version just for the sheer weirdness of it.
4. All I Want For Christmas Is You (Mariah Carey) - I'm just not into the over-singing of Mariah Carey.
3. Santa Baby (any version) - This song is way too fixated on material excess for my liking. Also, songs that sexualize Santa kinda give me the creeps.
2. Carol Of The Bells (Trans Siberian Orchestra) - extremely cheeseball "metal" version of this song, with some of the worst guitar wankery you'll ever hear.
1. The Christmas Shoes - This is song is about some kid buying shoes for his terminally ill mother, or something like that. Too depressing for Christmas, and this song is trying way too hard to tug on the heartstrings. Which makes it suck.

My Top 5 Christmas Songs

5. Frosty The Snowman (The Ronettes) - A Christmas song with that vintage Phil Spector sound. Also reminds me of Goodfellas.
4. Father Christmas (The Kinks) - This is a really well done Christmas-related rock song. I love the guitar and drums on this one, and the lyrics are great.
3. Christmas Time Is Here (Vince Guaraldi Trio) - This is the song from the Charlie Brown Christmas special. It has that kind of melancholy vibe that can sometimes be a part of Christmas, but in a good way, unlike number 1 on the worst list.
2. Blue Christmas (Elvis version) - I just love Elvis' voice on this one. The Porky Pig version makes a nice companion piece.
1. The Christmas Song (Nat King Cole) - There have been so many versions of this song, and a lot of them are pretty good. Like Mel Torme, for example. But I think Nat King Cole is the definitive version. That voice is like an intravenous injection of Christmas spirit.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger paintergirl said...

I hate the little drummer boy, by anyone especially that version. One of my new Christmas fav's is by The Eels. I like this post, music is dear to my heart and the overload of xmas songs gets to be to much.

12/27/2008 4:05 PM  
Blogger REENblack said...

lol Nice list!

Putting "sexualize" and "Santa" in one sentence is just wrong...making Santa Baby even more horrific!!!

1/09/2009 12:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home