Sunday, December 21, 2008

Merry Christmas Charlie Brown!

This past week I watched the Charlie Brown Christmas Special for the first time in several years. I had forgotten how much I liked it. It's just so perfect. It's a masterful blend of humor, pathos, contemplation, and joy. Who can't identify with Charlie Brown's disappointment at his empty mailbox? Or his dismay at the commercialization of Christmas? It moves at a pace that would be unthinkable in today's post-video-game world of cartoons, but I like that. It definitely suits the material. And that soundtrack is amazing.

I saw a link this week to an interesting article published in 2000 about the special. It seems that CBS hated it when they first saw it, and it almost didn't make it to air. Can you imagine that, knowing how beloved this show is now?

I also saw a really funny parody called Charlie Brown Ad Agency, which is posted below. This is how this show would be done today. And remember, people kid because they love.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger paintergirl said...

If you don't come in Saturday don't bother coming in on Sunday.
Tis true. How much do I love and hate the ad world?

12/22/2008 9:01 PM  
Blogger Umā said...

i love the original too, it's my favorite holiday movie and the soundtrack is some of the only holiday music i still listen to.

love the parody too..."why are you art directors always so insecure?" ha! it's really well done.

12/24/2008 10:23 PM  
Blogger REENblack said...

I haven't seen that forever! That parody was hilarious!!! I was busting up the first time they "bleeping" out cuss words!

1/09/2009 12:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home