Saturday, August 09, 2008

JC Goes to Hollywood, Pt. 2

And Part 2 of my movie premiere post...

The lobby inside the theater was packed. My sister and I each made bathroom stops before going to sit down, and while I was waiting for her to come out I found myself standing next to this guy, who was getting his picture taken by a fan with a camera phone. I just watched a movie with DK in it (Walk Hard). I talked to him briefly and he seemed very nice. He actually initiated a handshake with me. As we were talking I spotted Mike D, which was very cool since I am a huge Beastie Boys fan. I also love that his wife directed “Billy Madison”. He looked kind of freaked-out, which was either because he heard me say “Hey, it’s Mike D!” and saw me looking at him all slack-jawed, or because that’s just how he looks (second theory may be bolstered by a secondary spotting). He had some crazy-ass hair. I gotta say I’m a bit worried about Mr. D’s caloric intake – he looked a bit too skinny and his face was kind of gaunt. Eat your veggies, Mike! After I was done scaring Mike D, we each grabbed a box of free popcorn and a soda and went in to find our seats.

Things got pretty interesting once we went inside. We were walking down the aisle to our row when who do I see standing off to the right but Daniel Craig. James Bond himself! It was weird for me to see him because I specifically referenced him in my pre-trip post with regards to how I would not be wearing a suit to the premiere (and the guy I threw out as his sartorial opposite was there too, although I didn’t personally see him). And he was wearing a suit, but went sans tie. Before we got to where Daniel Craig was, my sister spotted Edward Norton on the other side. So it was definitely weird to pass within a couple of feet of Daniel Craig and then seconds later pass within a couple feet of Edward Norton.

We found our seats and settled in to see who else we could spot. Jason Schwartzman was seated on the row behind us. There were lots of people who looked kind of familiar, but that I couldn’t quite place. One of them I later figured out was the guy who plays Lloyd on “Entourage”. I love Lloyd! Jonah Hill was seated directly in front of my sister. I was gobsmacked to see that Elizabeth Banks was seated in the row in front of us. I have a super-celebrity crush on her. She looked even more amazing in person than she does on screen. It really is true that so many of these people look even better in person. I do have to say though, that while I love EB, I'm not sure what she was thinking with her choice of footwear.

Apparently we missed some of the big names that were there. We had no idea until the next day that Kanye West, Jim Carrey and Jenny McCarthy, Jack Black, Amanda Peet, Alicia Silverstone, or Adrienne Curry and Peter Knight were there. They must have all shown up after we went inside and been sitting behind us. I didn’t do much looking toward the back of the theater after we sat down, and it was a pretty big theater too. Had I known that the movie wasn’t really going to start until 8, I would’ve stayed outside longer.

The movie got a really good reception from the audience, and I thought it was really funny. When the names of each actor would appear on screen there would be cheering and applause. I guess that tends to happen when you and your friends go to see a movie that you are in!

To be continued in Part 3...

Labels: ,

10 Comments:

Blogger lauraisthatvoiceagain said...

wow! that sounds really amazing! Was pinapple express a good movie? I think I would cry if Kanye West was in the same place I was and I didn't see him!

8/10/2008 3:46 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

I am freaking jealous and happy for you at the same time. What a cool experience.

8/10/2008 6:51 PM  
Blogger JC said...

l - i thought PA was hilarious. It's a "bromance" in the vein of Superbad. And Danny McBride is so funny. It is really violent, so if that bothers you, you might not like it. And it's not for the easily offended (again, like Superbad).

m - Michelle Fry! I've missed you! I hope the SF marathon was good to you, I'll be checking your blog to find out.

8/10/2008 10:45 PM  
Blogger Vedrana M. said...

very interesting! so nice you had good time...i'll wait for part3

8/11/2008 9:10 AM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

oh how much fun, all that celebrity spotting you did. sounds way cool. i'm so thrilled for you. but, tell me, was graduating, and knowing you're all done with your course work just a tiny bit more exciting than this? if you say no, i'll understand!

8/11/2008 9:55 AM  
Blogger Anne said...

you breathed the same air as daniel craig? I must kill you now.

8/11/2008 7:56 PM  
Blogger rev joe said...

Schwartsman!!!! And Craigers, I'll be back, and no this is not joseph!

8/12/2008 2:37 PM  
Blogger Amy N. said...

Hey JC
Very cool my friend!! My son went and saw and said it was really funny. I cant wait to see it. That kind of humor is right up my alley!!

8/13/2008 11:59 AM  
Blogger paintergirl said...

Mike D!! He does have the crazy hair.Jos is pretty sure he was at a Blues Explosion concert a long time ago. I cannot believe you saw so many peeps. Jack Black, I would have looked for him. Glad you two had so much fun.

8/14/2008 7:01 PM  
Blogger hollibobolli said...

and I might state they were rolling their eyes at you, not me.

okay - I'm going to make a list.. because when I first said "and all these big celebrities were there" Tom said "oh.. George Clooney? Nicole Kidman? Tom Cruise?"

you get the picture. He was just trying to piss me off. Really, for me Edward Norton trumps George Clooney and Tom Cruise. So just F it.

8/15/2008 12:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home