Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Teh Weirdness

I have seen a couple of really weird things lately.

I have a rather long commute to work. Most of the time I do my best not to look at the hundreds of people that I pass by on any particular day. But not too long ago I looked over at one of my fellow drivers, and I swear if I had been drinking coffee I would've spit it all over the dashboard. I saw this really tricked-out Camaro one morning. It was bright red with silver racing stripes, and it even had a hood scoop. Sometimes when I see cars like this I like to look at the driver to see whether my preconceived notions of who drives vehicles like that are correct. Well, this time, they certainly weren't. As I passed the Camaro I looked over and saw one of the oldest, wrinkliest little old ladies I've ever seen driving a car. She had to have been in her eighties. I instantly thought of that scene in "Ferris Bueller's Day Off" where that old lady is driving and can barely see over the steering wheel. I just never expected to see that. It was definitely spit take material. I wonder if that's her car.

The other weird thing I saw (well, really the weird part is what I heard) was at Target the other day. I was walking close to the toy section when I heard the familiar whines of a child begging mommy for the latest gotta-have toy. Only there was something different about this whine. It was in French! Now that may be par for the course in Paris or Montreal, but let me tell you you don't hear a lot of toy-whines in French in Dallas, Texas. And I don't know if it was just the kid or perhaps the unfamiliarity of the language, but this particular toy-whine and mommy-denial seemed extra whiny and dramatic. In the toy-whine Oscars, this kid might have won best actor with mommy taking best supporting actress.

Life can be strange sometimes.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger paintergirl said...

ok, first, I never knew you had a category Weird News of Weirdosity.

now, how much do I want to be, when i'm 80 mind you, driving that car. damn. it will be all mad max and all, but man oh man, that is cool. i wish i could have been in another car seeing you see this, and if you spit coffee.


now, french in target?! do the french know we sometimes pronounce target in a french accent?

7/23/2008 9:28 PM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

THAT is perfect. LOVED trying to visualize a "lil o lady from pasadena" type in a tricked out Camaro. you don't see those hood vents so much anymore. my uncle had an Orange Gremlin tricked out to an extent like you could never imagine. hood vent, pins on the hood, mongonormous tires. and this was in the late 70s, so before the days of super speakers, and yet, his speakers took up 2/3 of the back seat.

7/24/2008 9:30 AM  
Blogger Umā said...

wow, was she listening to the dead kennedy's "buzzbomb from pasadena" by any chance?! that's the first thing that came to mind when i read this!

7/24/2008 11:51 AM  
Blogger Admin said...

a friend and i saw the Back to the Future car around the streets of Vancouver yesterday! that was super weird!

7/24/2008 4:21 PM  
Blogger REENblack said...

LOL This is an awesome post! When I was working at Target I got to hear the same kind of whine, but in German! I just smiled because I miss Germany soooo much!!! I said one of my few phrases to the boy, and he looked at me like I was crazy! Stopped the whining real quick though!

7/25/2008 10:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home