Sunday, March 25, 2007

Playing Favorites

A while back, painter girl tagged me for this meme. I've taken a long time to do it because asking me what my favorite movie or song is is asking me a question that I don't feel I can answer. There are too many good ones of both to have a favorite. And the favorites change from time to time. So, the favorites presented here are kind of a snapshot - my favorites right now. They could be different next month (is that enough of a hedge for ya?). Sometimes it's important to just make a decision, so that's what I've done here.

Favorite movie - The Big Lebowski
The first time I saw this movie was in the theater. I remember thinking at the end that I liked it, but I also remember thinking "What the hell was that?" I've found though that sometimes comedies take a little bit of time to grow on me, and this one has grown like a fungus upon my toenails. It's just so damn weird, but it makes me laugh like few movies can.

Favorite guilty pleasure movie - Austin Powers
The first time I saw this movie I hated it. All I could see was the stupidity and not the humor. And it is stupid, that's why I'm putting it in the guilty pleasure category. But each time I saw it it just kept getting funnier and funnier to me.

Favorite book - A Confederacy of Dunces
I think this book is pretty popular with literary hipsters, but I had never heard of it until a guy I know was selected to direct a movie adaptation of this book. So I read it because I wanted to see what he would be doing, and I really ended up loving it. It's got such strange characters, but they are drawn so vividly. It has such a strong sense of place too. It's set in New Orleans, and it really couldn't have been set anywhere else. The peculiarity of the story is also enhanced by the fact that the book was published 11 years after the author committed suicide. I'm actually kind of glad that the movie adaptation fell apart, because doing justice to the book would be extremely difficult if not impossible. More info here.

Favorite guilty pleasure book - Naked Pictures of My Ex-Girlfriends
Supposedly the premise of this book is that it is a bunch of pictures that the author took of his girlfriends from 1970-1980, along with little stories that he wrote to go with each of the pictures. A lot of people apparently got bent out of shape when it came to light that the pictures were taken more recently, that some of the women were models, and he made all or some of these stories up. I don't care, it's got pictures of naked women, what's not to like?

Favorite song - White Room by Cream
I love the guitar sound, the drum sound, the falsetto vocal on the chorus, the tympani, and the wah wah pedal. What else can I say?

Favorite guilty pleasure song - F*** The Pain Away by Peaches
Hey, I’m not proud of it, that’s why it’s a guilty pleasure, no? I think it’s funny. The first time I ever heard it was in the movie Lost In Translation. It’s the second track here. Obviously not baby, child, or work safe!

I can't tag anyone else for this thing, not after I took 2 months to answer it!

Labels:

11 Comments:

Blogger hollibobolli said...

I was about to say - I can't believe you answered this meme. There is no way I could do it. No way. But I feel like I learned a lot about you!!!

I love the Air song on the Lost in Translation soundtrack. So does Faith.

3/25/2007 9:51 PM  
Blogger paintergirl said...

I can't believe you did it! I must look like I'm totally flip about my answers. I stand firmly by The Graduate.
I like your answers. Lebowski is one of those movies where a scene pops into my head at inappropriate moments. I love Austin Powers-not really the 3rd one, but the 1st and 2nd! Never heard of the books. I'm a little scared because you say hipsters.
White Room is a great song. My only tolerable moment with Clapton. Wait don't you hate hippies? I love Lost in Translation soundtrack.

3/26/2007 8:31 AM  
Blogger hollibobolli said...

I will say that my mother's love of Clapton from the old days has rubbed off on me - more of the blues stuff. And it was amazing to see him play "Wonderful Tonight" live - even if they have cheesed that sucker up in every movie and commercial in the world. And as I said on my blog - watching my mother chant "cocaine" over and over before he did his encore was totally rad. I like that song too.. The guitar rifs in that are classic.

3/26/2007 12:28 PM  
Blogger JC said...

pg - I didn't like the third Austin Powers movie either. I'm referring to the first one in my post. Did I say I hated hippies? Or was it because I said I wasn't a fan of Ween's hippie fans maybe? I wouldn't hate someone just because they were a hippie, they would have to have some other irritating quality to make me hate them. :D Hell, my mom was a hippie back in the day. In fact the first time I heard Cream it was on an LP that my mother bought when it originally came out!

h - I thought about tagging you just to see if I could get your head to explode, but I decided to play nice. :) I'm not a huge fan of post-1980 Clapton, but I kind of wouldn't mind seeing him in concert someday. But only if it didn't cost an arm and a leg.

3/26/2007 1:04 PM  
Blogger paintergirl said...

I think I'm still a little mad he stole Patty away from George.

3/26/2007 1:09 PM  
Blogger paintergirl said...

Oh and Holli-I forgot I wanted to comment about your mom screaming Cocaine. Never in my lifetime could I see my mom doing that. "Whooo-'Little Brown Jug'".

You both have hippie moms. And Holli's head will explode? really? I'm still making her do my newest project.

3/26/2007 1:28 PM  
Blogger hollibobolli said...

I totally lost interest in him with Tears in Heaven. I realize the significance of the song - but I don't know.. it just was a turn in his career. But I LOVED hearing Layla live. LOVED IT. I totally forgot about that!! That's my favorite Clapton song. All this being said - he's my mom's favorite.. I wouldn't put him anywhere in my top anything. But it was great to see someone I do consider a living legend.

Yay for the breakfast bar - Yay!!!!!!!!

3/26/2007 2:13 PM  
Blogger hollibobolli said...

why is the "ity" in peculiarity in yellow? is that a secret I'm supposed to know? Or am I.. slow? Or hallucinating again.

I have got to get in the shower.

3/26/2007 2:18 PM  
Blogger JC said...

You're hallucinating again.

OK, actually somehow the spellcheck (which turns things yellow in the 'Edit' view) turned this into yellow in the html. I originally had peculiar-ness and it flagged the end so I changed it to peculiarity. Somehow that made it yellow in the post. Stupid Blogger. It's now white as snow.

Look out for squirrels!

3/26/2007 2:49 PM  
Blogger paintergirl said...

OMG! The breakfast bar is here!!

3/26/2007 2:58 PM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

so glad you aren't expecting anything from us on this one. liked reading your answers though! very thoughtful and revealing.

3/26/2007 3:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home