Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Fair People

I'm here to beat you down with more Fair pics. But first, I have to say I'm feeling a bit sick at the moment. Not physically, though. I just found out this morning that Beck is playing a surprise show at the Gypsy Tea Room in Dallas tonight. It was announced yesterday around 5 PM and sold out in an hour or two hours depending on who you believe. So I missed out. And they're saying no tickets will be sold at the door. Poop! I guess sometimes you eat the b'ar, and sometimes he eats you...

Now more Fair pics, here are some of the people I saw:



If it's not Scottish, it's crap! Maybe it's because I have Scottish ancestry, but I find the sound of a well-played bagpipe quite stirring.

Yes, that's a lady piper on the left. I guess they wear kilts too.

Ah, carnival games. I was a total sucker for these things when I was a kid.

This kid actually knocked the top 2 blocks off, but not the bottom one. Sorry, kid.





Aren't these kids overdressed just a skosh for the Fair? You be the judge.








Carnies. Circus folk. Nomads, you know. Smell like cabbage. Small hands. - Austin Powers

He's not just some guy, Marge. He's a carny and part of a noble tradition. Carnies built this country-the carnival part of it anyway -- and though they may be rat-like in appearance, they are truly kings among men. - Homer Simpson

'Nuff said.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Love the quotes!!

11/01/2006 3:49 PM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

no! you missed out on beck? oh, terrible. i'm sorry for you. but then, i missed out on tom waits because i waited around too long. had a message texted to my phone from the venue or maybe pollstar, and didn't get with it. but, i bet you'll have someone even cooler than beck come along soon. but... who's cooler than beck?

11/01/2006 5:07 PM  
Blogger JC said...

B - Thanks!

A - I love the piper-Piper connection today!

bekka - Well, at least I did get to see Beck back in June. It's just that this is a small venue, and one day it'll be one of those things that people remember and about a million of them say they were there, but really only a couple hundred were. And another cool thing about this concert - the tickets were only $16 including service charge! Oh well. It just wasn't my lucky day.

11/01/2006 5:29 PM  
Blogger paintergirl said...

16 dollars???!!!! Damn.

ok-I couldn't go see Beck at radio city because I don't have a baby sitter, and those tix cost $55. I really really wanted to see Amy Sedaris play and faster than you could say Strangers with Candy, all the tickets were sold out. And that is how I can completely relate to you. Everyone will talk about how this was the "BEST FRIGGIN FUNNIEST PLAY OF THE DECADE." It will be just like that in the Times.

I thought lady pipers would wear pants.

And that is one of my top 10 favorite episodes of the simpons!

Carnies...I just got the shivers.

11/01/2006 7:45 PM  
Blogger hollibobolli said...

Those were some funny fair pics! Here in OKC they have a Steve Miller Band concert right before the fair - I'm convinced it's where all the fair people get together to plan out their fair activities!

OKC has more of a "white trash spin" on the fair.. but the food kicks ass - well over the Texas fair's offerings.

11/06/2006 12:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home