Friday, October 28, 2005

Halloween Cookies
















I can't believe it's come to this, but in honor of Halloween I'm actually going to post a recipe. Damn I'm gay. My mom used to make these every Halloween when my sister and I were growing up. I looked forward to these at least as much as all that candy. So, here goes nothing:

Owl Cookies

2/3 cup shortening
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla
1 cup crunchy peanut butter
1-1/3 cups flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup quick or old-fashioned oats
1 oz. semi-sweet baking chocolate
chocolate chips
whole cashews

Beat together shortening and sugar until creamy. Add egg, vanilla, and peanut butter, blend thoroughly. Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt. Add to creamed mixture; blend well. Stir in oats. May need to add a little milk to keep the dough from being too crumbly to slice.

Divide dough in half. Shape one half to form a roll 8" long. Add chocolate to other half. Roll out chocolate dough on waxed paper to form an 8" square. Place roll on chocolate dough; wrap chocolate dough around roll; pinch seam together. Wrap in waxed paper; chill at least 1 hour.*

Cut into 1/4 inch slices. For each owl face, pinch chocolate dough to form 2 ears. Use 2 chocolate chips for eyes and a cashew for a beak. Place on ungreased cookie sheets. Bake at 350 for 12 to 15 minutes.

* If dough is refrigerated for several hours, allow to stand at room temperature about 10 minutes before slicing.

Update: I made some of these tonight, the picture above is one of them. Mom will be so proud.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Michelle said...

This made me smile. I might have to actually make some. Anne will be so proud of you for posting a recipe.

10/28/2005 10:06 PM  
Blogger hollibobolli said...

Did you delete my comment????

You know - I left one. I either left a comment about owl cookies on your blog, or some other person is wondering why in the hell I was joking about oats in their comment section.

Don't make me turn you into the juvenile detention center.

They are really, really cute pictures. I just showed Sto Sto. She said "WTF??" but Faith said "cookie???" so they are cute and recognizable as a cookie. Good job!!

(I think Sto Sto was just tired of me reading her your entire blog)

10/29/2005 9:53 AM  
Blogger JC said...

Holli - I didn't delete any comment. I wonder where you left it? Hee hee!

10/29/2005 10:12 AM  
Blogger Dana said...

found you through holli. i swear i cracked up so hard.."damn, i'm gay!

10/30/2005 12:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home