Sunday, October 23, 2005

Aimee Mann Day 2

Originally day 2 of the Aimee Mann extravaganza was to be quite the local blogging convention. In the end, several people couldn’t make it, so as far as bloggers went it was Holli, Stori (I'll count you even though you aren't posting much, and can I call you StoSto too?), Anne, and me. Holli’s friend David from Oklahoma City also joined us. The plan was to get to the Gypsy Tea Room early enough so that we could stand right next to the stage. We didn’t end up being the first ones in, but we were able to stake out a place pretty close to the stage right in the center. Stori, David, and Anne went to get something to eat while Holli and I held the fort by the stage.

The whole shebang started about an hour late (maybe they had a flat tire on the way or something). I told everyone that Teitur was pretty good, and I think everyone agreed. Unfortunately there was quite a bit of noise coming from the bar area, and I think this kind of pissed him off a little. He didn’t banter as much as he did in Austin, and he played a couple of louder songs to maybe try to drown out the noise. There was kind of an awkward moment when I shouted out the name of one of his songs that he was about to play. I think it really caught him by surprise. I was hoping he might joke about that but he just seemed taken aback. Everyone around me was staring at me like I was some kind of mind-reading freak! I hate being the center of attention...

After Teitur was done, the roadies were preparing the stage for Aimee. They taped the setlist to the stage and we were close enough to read it. One of the songs I really wanted to hear -‘Guys Like Me’ - was on there, as was one of Holli’s favorites - ‘4th of July’. Even ‘Voices Carry’ was on there! Sweet. I really enjoyed watching Aimee and her band perform from that close. We seemed to have plenty of room around us, and the crowd seemed more into it than they did in Austin (especially creepy haircut, drunk or stoned, weird, fist-pumping guy). I don’t think Aimee bantered as much between songs as she did in Austin, I think they wanted to finish as quickly as possible since the show started late. Unfortunately they started deviating from the setlist after 11 songs, and we didn’t get to hear ‘Guys Like Me’ or ‘Voices Carry’. There was even a guy (heh) shouting for ‘Guys Like Me’ so I didn’t have to, but Aimee ignored it. Oh well. It was still a great show and that was the closest I have ever been at a concert. Holli wormed her way to the front of the stage. StoSto was nice enough to grab the setlist for me. Thanks StoSto! There was a very awkward moment for me after the concert when we were hanging out by the stage. The roadie was handing out unused water bottles to people who were by the stage. Even though I was right there in front of him, he literally handed a water bottle to everyone there except me. He even gave one guy two bottles instead of giving me one! What the fuck? Asshole.

Holli was bound and determined to get her picture taken with Aimee, so we planned to hang out after the show. The tour bus was parked right in front of the club. As we were waiting Julian came out and I talked to him again. I got him to sign the setlist. I’m sure he was thinking, "Who the fuck is this guy? Is he following me?". Anyway, if he was freaked he did a good job of hiding it! I was inside at this time, but just about everyone else was outside. Julian went outside where apparently he had a run-in with Holli and her camera. StoSto even got to touch Julian’s hair! I then went outside and we waited for Aimee to come out.

David and I were keeping an eye through the front door on the area where Aimee would have to emerge to leave the club. I saw her come down the stairs and told everyone that it looked like she was leaving. Soon we could tell that she was heading for the side door. David gets all the credit for sprinting like a madman to catch Aimee before she could get in an SUV that was waiting to whisk her away. We all went over there and Holli got a picture with her! Aimee seemed a little pissed that we had spotted her, but she still graciously signed stuff and posed for some pictures. I got her to sign my setlist. Then came what will be known as the Larry David moment. I had a brought a Sharpie for people to sign stuff. I handed Aimee my Sharpie to sign the setlist. She handed the setlist back to me and kept the Sharpie. She looked like she was about to sign someone else’s CD and I just kind of stood there going ‘Umm..." and looking at the Sharpie. Yes, I actually made Aimee give me back my stupid fucking Sharpie. I felt like such an asshole, but it just kind of happened. I don’t know what came over me. I’m sure I’ll be hearing about that one for a while!

Anyway, it was a fun night, and it was great to finally meet Anne, StoSto, and David. Holli got some great pictures (she has this device called a ‘digital camera’!) so be sure to check them out on her blog!

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger hollibobolli said...

You're funny. I had a great time. And you're out, Mr. Sharpie.

I know we planned to do something else.. but now I can't remember!!

10/23/2005 2:15 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

JC,
You were so outed. Btw, hope I don't sound like a crazy stalker/flirter but you're cute.

10/23/2005 5:15 PM  
Blogger JC said...

Holli,

Maybe you're thinking about brunch (we talked about pancakes)?

Michelle,

I ain't scared. I've got no bunny to boil. Thanks for the compliment!

10/24/2005 6:19 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Oh man Fatal Attraction is such a great movie.

10/24/2005 9:01 PM  
Blogger JC said...

OK, now I'm scared!

;)

10/24/2005 10:51 PM  
Blogger Dana said...

OMG- that was so funny...yes, you neailed it, that really was such a Larry David moment.

Don't feel bad. I have those all the time. I thought I swallowed a tack the other day at work and it was never anywhere near my mouth.

10/30/2005 12:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home