Thursday, September 22, 2005

Still Want to Call Them Freedom Fries?

We may just want to go ahead and call them cancer fries. If you love french fries and do not ever want to hear anything bad about french fries (or for that matter any type of fried potatoes), you may want to move along now. I read this article today (if you don't want to register at the NY Times, view it here). Kind of disturbing, I had no idea about this. I have pretty much already given up french fries after Super Size Me, but I wonder if this applies to the baked potato chips that I eat for lunch every day? I also may have to bid adieu (French, get it?) to my (and Napoleon’s) beloved tater tots. It’s always something.

9 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

wow, isn't anything safe anymore.

9/22/2005 11:23 AM  
Blogger JC said...

Yeah, this one sucks. I loves me some fried potatoes. Black olives too. At some point I'm sure they'll determine that everything is bad for you and I'll just have to pick the lesser of all the evils.

9/22/2005 12:12 PM  
Blogger JC said...

Yeah, I looked at the graphic in that article, and shit just about everything I eat is on there. Tortilla chips. Granola bars. Cereal. Coffee for fuck's sake! I'm not giving up coffee dammit! The fries and potato chips are pretty high compared to most of the other things, so maybe I'll just avoid those.

9/22/2005 8:07 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

I had french fries tonight but with spicy tofu dipping sauce which doesn't sound so good but really is. I hoped the isoflavinoids in the soy would counteract the acrylamides in the fries but I also had some fruit just in case what I really needed was some phytochemicals. Then I had wine to act as an antioxidant. God damn the fries were good!

9/23/2005 12:12 AM  
Blogger JC said...

Michelle,

That sounds pretty good. I suppose fries are OK in moderation. I guess I'll have to cut back from 100 tater tots per week to 10. And yes, I'm kidding. Although I have a bag of tater tots in my freezer, I haven't had any in months.

9/23/2005 10:19 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Tater tots are great. Everything in moderation right?

9/23/2005 10:25 PM  
Blogger JC said...

Absolutely! I'm kind of starting to feel like Anne, you've got to die of something, it may as well be fried potatoes, right?

To speed up the process I'm thinking I may take up smoking french fries.

9/23/2005 10:31 PM  
Blogger hollibobolli said...

I think I'm just not going to look. I barely can get myself to eat lately as it is.. why kill the few foods left I actually like?

Go fries Go!

9/23/2005 10:36 PM  
Blogger JC said...

Holli,

After the week you and Faith had, you need all the help you can get! I won't begrudge you your fries!

9/23/2005 10:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home