Sunday, May 25, 2008

Texas Goes (A Tiny Bit) Green

I'm working on my Dallas Radiohead post. I know all 2 of you are anxiously awaiting that. I have to properly document these things you know.

Texas pleasantly surprised me this weekend. There is a sales tax holiday for purchase of certain "green" items. It's mostly geared towards Energy Star appliances, programmable thermostats, and fluorescent light bulbs. I say I'm surprised because it seems really progressive for Texas. I mean, this is the homeland of the giant SUV. I think it's a good start, though. For some weird reason incandescent light bulbs are included in this program too, which makes no sense. In any case, I'm going to stock up on some fluorescent bulbs. I'm not in the market for any major appliances, and I pretty much already have all Energy Star stuff. I still can't believe this is actually happening here!

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger REENblack said...

lol I haven't heard about things like this before, but I guess I'd have to watch the news more to get the info. I'm glad they are doing something...I bet if there is a good turnout they will do more in the future. Do those light bulbs give off similar light as the regular ones? I only have two lamps that I could (should) use them for. Being in military housing, we have horrid tube lights and fixtures where the better bulbs wouldn't fit under the glass.

Its a start anyway! Every little thing every person can do will eventually add up to help!!!

5/26/2008 10:16 AM  
Blogger Deb R said...

I wish they'd do that here. I'd stock up on the florescent bulbs too!

5/26/2008 9:42 PM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

ok, so i'm not a radiohead fan. sorry. but that's great news about the green tax holiday. we have two tax free weekends per year, but it's mostly geared toward clothing and other "back to school items" like computers, etc. who woulda thought texas would go so green? three cheers for your great state!

5/27/2008 8:45 AM  
Blogger paintergirl said...

Hey that's great. I have to check to see if FLA does this. I agree, every little thing a person can do,helps. How is your canvas grocery bag shopping going?

5/27/2008 9:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home