Thursday, September 06, 2007

Stew Take 2

Every day the cafeteria in my workplace posts a sign that lists their specials for the day. I have to walk past the cafeteria every morning, so I always see the sign when I get to work. The other day the special was, and I quote, a "Patti Melt". No offense to any Pattis out there, but that sounds rather unsavory to me.

Tonight I took my second stab at green chile stew using a different recipe than last time. I also added the proper amount of water this time. This stew turned out great. The addition of potatoes and cumin made a huge difference. I also used mild chiles this time rather than hot, which allowed me to savor the taste rather than perform a feat of endurance/willpower. The texture was stew-like, as expected. Potatoes and pork are so perfect for green chile stew because their blandness allows the green chile to be the dominant flavor, which is what you want when they taste so damn good. This recipe is also very simple (see recipe below)!



Holy frickin' moly this stuff is good!

While mincing the garlic for the stew I almost experienced that dreaded affliction of knife-wielders everywhere - the finger cut. I blame it on reading the blog of master chef/gastronomist Anna, who seems to have a penchant for slicing her digits (I kid, I kid). Anyway, I was lucky that the knife missed the flesh of my thumb and instead sliced my thumbnail. For good luck I hacked off the thumbnail and threw it in the stew. OK, the last sentence is a total fabrication, that's just gross.

Am I lucky or what?

GREEN CHILE STEW
1 ½ pounds lean stew meat, cut in ¾ -inch cubes
½ medium onion, chopped
3 cups water
3 to 4 cloves garlic, minced
8 to 10 roasted, peeled and diced green chiles
2 to 3 potatoes, diced
Salt to taste
¼ teaspoon cumin (optional)
Sear stew meat in a large skillet, adding onions the last 5 minutes. Add water and garlic, and simmer until meat is tender. Additional water may be added, if necessary.
Add green chiles, potatoes, salt and cumin, if desired, and simmer until potatoes are tender. Makes 6 to 8 servings.

PER SERVING: Calories 200 (28% fat) Fat 6 g (2 g sat) Cholesterol 53 mg Sodium 475 mg Fiber 3 g Carbohydrates 17 g Protein 18 g

SOURCE: New Mexico Department of Agriculture

Labels:

9 Comments:

Blogger kristen said...

this looks delicious. as the weather cools down, i'm so in the mood for stews and my husband is the king of one-pot meals. thank you for sharing - i'll be skipping the marrow portion of the ingredients though.

9/06/2007 9:03 PM  
Blogger Anna said...

Oh no! The cutting is contagious! That's a battle scar right there, my friend. I am glad it didn't hurt too much. The stew looks soooo good. I can almost smell it! I can't wait for the weather to cool down a bit so I can use your recipe (and the chiles in my freezer).
Patti melt? Eww Eww. Was that conscious choice of spelling , or not so much? What patty would it be? And why is it melted? Glad you kept on walking.

9/06/2007 9:25 PM  
Blogger jess said...

i want to try this out...

now...without knowing my kids (but having eaten the soup) do you think kids would like it?

9/06/2007 11:48 PM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

woo-hoo! next thing i know you'll drop out of library school and become a chef, open a restaurant, have a cooking reality tv show and then all the cookbooks.... so glad your stew was great this time! second time's a charm

9/07/2007 12:13 PM  
Blogger paintergirl said...

At least it wasn't the tip of your thumb, I've had an e-xacto accident and you can still see the scar.

That stew looks really good.

ok yeah-patti's do melt when in the south but why did they spell it with a precious i? That is irksome and gross at the same time. I would totally pull an Elaine and complain and get thrown out.

9/07/2007 2:18 PM  
Blogger hollibobolli said...

whoa - be careful! I damn near lost a finger cutting Faith's baby carrots the other day. They all slid and the knife slid and WHAM! a cm (yes, go ahead and comment on my use of the wrong measuring system) to the left and I would have lost several digits.

That stew actually looks good. I'm telling you - you need to go to BlogHer next year and take that photo class with me!!

9/07/2007 7:16 PM  
Blogger Deb R said...

Mmmm....that looks yummy! (The stew, not the sliced finger.) :-)

9/07/2007 9:43 PM  
Blogger JC said...

thanks everyone!

anna - I'm sure the "Patti" was not on purpose. A typical patty melt is a hamburger patty with cheese (usually Swiss) between 2 slices of bread, then the whole thing is grilled, melting the cheese. The Patti Melt? I can only speculate...

jess - Even if you use mild Hatch chiles there is still a little bit of heat, so if your kids don't like spicy stuff they may not like it. You could maybe use roasted Anaheim peppers for a totally non-spicy version.

r - I'm far too lazy to be a restaurant owner. Running a restaurant is one of the toughest jobs there is!

h - You and your cms! I told you, I actually prefer the metric system. You never did confirm my guess about your bust size in cms!

9/08/2007 6:58 PM  
Blogger Anne said...

yanno, i was once enjoying a cup of potato soup in austin at a cafe called the Omlettry when I felt something sharp on my tongue. yes, there was a goddam fingernail clipping in the fecking soup. do not joke of such things.

*GAG*

9/08/2007 7:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home