Thursday, August 30, 2007

Whatsa Happenin', Hot Stuff?

The celebration of the green chile continues. I peeled all the chiles I brought home from New Mexico, chopped them up, and put them in the freezer until I get ready to cook with them. The local grocery stores have been selling them for the last couple of weekends, and last weekend I stocked up. The store that I went to had two varieties – mild and hot. Since I figured that there was no way that “hot” could be as hot as some of the stuff that I had in New Mexico, I bought 3 containers of hot.

I wanted to use at least some of these chiles without freezing them, so I decided to make a green chile stew as my first dish using one container of the hot chiles. I used this recipe, although I was skeptical of the use of tomatoes (I love tomatoes but I have never had them in any green chile stew that I have had before). Side note: How in the hell is one supposed to "seed" a tomato? Due to my confusing “cups” and “cans” (14oz.) momentarily, I added about twice as much liquid as the recipe called for. This resulted in the dish turning out more like soup than stew. It has decent flavor, but I did need to add some salt. One other thing, though – this stuff turned out way hotter than I was expecting. From the first spoonful it brought the heat. Although I have curtailed my consumption of spicy foods over the last 3 years due to GERD, I have lots of experience eating some pretty hot stuff. And this stuff is pretty damn hot. I’ve found I can eat the soup if I eat much more slowly than I normally would. Which may be a good thing because I think it makes it easier to notice when you’ve had enough to eat. I can already tell that my tolerance for hotness has increased after eating this soup for three nights this week! I think for my next batch of stew I will use this recipe. I think the cumin will be a good addition. I may add hominy to make it more like posole. But, before I make more stew I’m dying to make some cornbread using this recipe (you have to scroll down for the cornbread recipe).

Today on the way home from work I stopped again and got some mild chiles. They are starting to run pretty low, but I think I have a pretty good supply. Tonight I peeled and chopped the hot ones from last Sunday. By the middle of the second container my throat and nose were burning and begging for mercy.


The green chile "soup"

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger Deb R said...

That looks yummy! Although, looking at the recipes, I do think the seasonings of the one you're trying next sound even better.

8/30/2007 11:42 PM  
Blogger paintergirl said...

I have never figured out how to seed a tomato???

The soup looks good even if you wanted stew.

8/31/2007 8:57 AM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

whoopsie on that cans verses cups mistake. i'm always doing silly things in the kitchen. mostly it's that my mise en place is not in place and midway through a recipe i discover that i don't have something, then must dash out to the grocery like the scattered fool that i am.

8/31/2007 10:12 AM  
Blogger hollibobolli said...

It looks really, really good - nice presentation! You should have gone to BlogHer - they had an entire class about food photography!

8/31/2007 6:40 PM  
Blogger paintergirl said...

Hey and I totally missed your Sixteen Candles reference earlier-the coffee had not kicked in, maybe I just needed beer.

8/31/2007 7:58 PM  
Blogger JC said...

Deb - thanks, it was pretty yummy.

pg - I don't even know why this recipe called for seeding the tomato, the seeds aren't even noticeable in the final product. And I love that you got the reference!

r - I've had to dash out like that many times before, although I'm better now about checking ingredients first.

h - thank you! That class actually sounds interesting to me.

9/01/2007 11:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home