Tuesday, August 07, 2007

A-Do-Be

One thing that Santa Fe is known for is its architecture. Many of the buildings around town are adobe. Can you say that with me? A-do-be. As you'll see, even the McDonald's and IHOP are adobe. Now they just need a few adobe cars.





This is the St. Francis Cathedral, which was built in 1869. That's actually not very old for Santa Fe, which was founded around 400 years ago. The original church on this site was burned down during the Pueblo Revolt in 1680, and the cathedral replaced an adobe church that was built to replace the destroyed one.








































This is the Loretto Chapel. It is actually where the wedding I attended was held. A friend I was with asked if that was the lightning rod above Mary. Yes, yes it is.


This strikes me as odd, but I guess if you're going to have a McDonald's, better that it kind of fits in with the other local buildings.




As does IHOP.


Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Rebecca said...

such gorgeous photos. thanks for sharing. i almost feel like i'm there. it's 91 today and feels like 96 because of the humidity. ick. would much rather be in santa fe. was talking to someone the other day about santa fe and she said that they drove into the city but were like "where is it?" because everything is adobe and there are codes about how facades, etc. can appear. sounds cool to me.

8/07/2007 1:26 PM  
Blogger hollibobolli said...

For some reason I had the sound "doobie" in my head, as I was just singing the theme song to Scooby Doo.

Don't hold back! (such a great beat!)

That adobe McDonalds is hysterical. I wonder if anyone thought twice about you taking pics of MickenDonalds.

8/07/2007 2:04 PM  
Blogger Anna said...

How funny. All those buildings look identical, like they came out of the same box! That is the closest I have seen a McDonald's come to looking respectable.

8/07/2007 10:16 PM  
Blogger Deb R said...

Beautiful photos!!

I so need to visit Santa Fe sometime!

8/07/2007 11:10 PM  
Blogger paintergirl said...

I have so much to catch up on...these photos are lovely!! The mcd's is very funny

8/13/2007 9:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home