Thursday, March 08, 2007

Sunset On A Sad-Sack

I've been all sad-sack today. A dear friend of mine is moving even farther away, and it makes me really sad. This change isn't fun for her either so I know she could use some cheering up. Stop by her site and wish her well if you have a minute.

I have to go to school this weekend, both Saturday and Sunday. I knew I would have to do it when I signed up for this semester. At least it's for a good cause. I also have a paper due on Saturday that I have been working on. It's actually almost too short - 800 words. It's kind of hard to be concise sometimes, but I would still rather do that then try to stretch out something that's too short. I'm writing about digital preservation, and reading about it makes me want to switch back to a film camera. Materials in digital formats are surprisingly fragile, whereas you can find a family photo from the 1920s that still looks OK. And preserving things is not quite as simple as just backing stuff up. It's a very thought-provoking topic.

It's been a while since I've posted a sunset picture, but we haven't had any good ones around here in quite some time. This one may have been better a few minutes earlier, but this was the best I could do.





If you see any of these people today wish them a happy birthday:

Labels:

10 Comments:

Blogger paintergirl said...

Here in my car...Your b'day lists make me happy when they have singers I like. And the author of Virgin Suicides...and then I think of one of my favorite Air songs.
Are digital photos not the way to go? Should we all make prints of the photos we cherish just in case the file gets corrupt or loses bits? I just answered my own question.

3/08/2007 6:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So sorry about your friend.. It is sad to see someone leave... and vice versa. Good luck on your homework. I am off to VT and will check back in a week.

3/08/2007 9:46 PM  
Blogger hollibobolli said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

3/08/2007 10:16 PM  
Blogger hollibobolli said...

I don't want you to be sad. I'm trying to focus on how fun it will be when you come visit!! Right? Or if you get some bust ass job working there - Right???

Faith loved the pictures. She thinks you look so happy. So apparently she is oblivious to how sad everyone is.

Did you ever read Middlesex?

I'm telling you - I think you and the man with the little hat should come along.

Sigh.

x

Now that I've edited this comment - I have no idea if it makes any sense, but I have a toddler and a dog alone with three popsicles in bed. I have to GO!

3/08/2007 10:30 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I am sad for her too. It is one of the biggest bummers...

3/09/2007 9:44 AM  
Blogger JC said...

pg - I love it when you know the obscure '80s popsters on my lists! It probably wouldn't be a bad idear to print out photos. Definitely save them to CD. But no one knows how long CDs will last! Argh.

n - thanks!

h - Thanks for cheering me up. I hope I do get to come visit, it would be so much fun. We could go to Red Lobster! And you know what, Faith was right - I was happy in those pictures because I was thinking of her painting my gift and having fun.

I haven't read Middlesex, and in fact I haven't read VS either, just seen the movie. I should read those. LOL at the popsicles!

3/09/2007 1:11 PM  
Blogger paintergirl said...

I'm just obsure girl, maybe I should change the name of my blog. Alienate everyone with my cryptic writing style and songs in my head.

3/09/2007 1:51 PM  
Blogger hollibobolli said...

The book (and the score) were both much better than the movie (The Virgin Suicides) but I'm pretty sure we've discussed this at length. Although I loved the cheesy Air video that came with the dvd. That bubble gum singing Playground Love is just priceless.

Well, we're off to see what can be done about a camera. eh hem.

3/09/2007 2:40 PM  
Blogger Deb R said...

I'd like to hear more about the digital preservation issue! Maybe you could break it up into smaller bits and post some of the info here once a week or so?

3/09/2007 10:49 PM  
Blogger Tish said...

Micky Dolenz! I used to be crazy about the Monkees! :)

Btw, there is a new Bondtography pic up. I submitted a photo, and someone else already has too. This one looks like something you'd like. Go check it out at Bondtography. :)

3/10/2007 9:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home