Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Xmas Lights

This year I did get my Christmas lights put up, unlike last year. I had also planned to put my tree up this year, but that kind of fell through the cracks. It seems a bit too late for the tree at this point. Putting up my lights is fairly easy, but there is a small amount of white-knuckle time when it's time to come down from the roof. The only ladder I have is a 6 foot step ladder, which means that to get on or off the roof I have to stand on the very tip top of the ladder. Which you're not supposed to do. It's not bad when I'm getting on the roof, but coming down off the roof can be a bit tricky because it can hard to know exactly where the ladder is. The scare-mongers in the local news widely reported this story about 2 men who were paralyzed putting up Christmas lights. I think they fell from two story homes, though.

Some of the people in the neighborhood go overboard (as you'll see below). There's always a contest each year for the best Christmas display, and some people take that stuff way too seriously. Especially since the prize isn't that great - a gift certificate to Home Depot, not more than $100 I think. Whoopee.



This is my very modest display of Christmas lights.

As opposed to the Griswalds of the neighborhood, across the street from me.



Time to break out the star filter...



Please be so kind to notice that the light at the highest point is burned out. Hey, it was working before I put them up! I decided not to replace it, seeing as how a death-defying climb is involved. Must keep death-defying climbs to a minimum, you know.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, please keep the death-defying activities to a minimum. You know, for good measure.

The lights look nice. I would have never noticed the burned-out light if you hadn't pointed it out.

You should see the Griswalds in my mom's neighborhood... egads!!! The neighborhood awards first, second and third places for house and street, so on some streets it's this whole "team effort" thing. Insane...

Grinch that I am, I have NO Christmas decorations. I did put up a "tree," if you want to see it...

12/20/2006 11:03 AM  
Blogger paintergirl said...

Your lights a very respectable. I like that. I have to take a picure of some of the hideous things in my hood. It will be a post before xmas. I hope. And please don't fix that light. Like Criss, I wouldn't have noticed it...And Criss I like your Hello Kitty tree.

12/20/2006 2:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home