Monday, April 05, 2010

The San Antonio Museum of Art

While I was in San Antonio, I spent one evening at the San Antonio Museum of Art. The Museum is housed in the old Lone Star Brewery building, which is quite interesting in itself. The Museum collection is primarily made up of 3-dimensional art objects from various parts of the world from a number of different time periods. There weren't too many paintings.




The gray areas represent restorations. I'm curious as to why they decided to repair his right testicle but declined to give him a new penis.

This is a bust of the Roman Emperor Hadrian. I found this likeness fascinating, I guess because it is so lifelike. To me it's as close as you can get to staring into the face of someone from almost 2000 years ago.



Again, no new penis.





I'm also fascinated by old coins. I think it's amazing to think that a person handled this actual coin 2200 years ago. And it's in such beautiful condition too.

This ceremonial golden wreath was really cool.














Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home