Sunday, March 07, 2010

The Gorge

Another place that I knew I wanted to visit while I was in Oregon was the Columbia River Gorge. I drove through there on my one prior visit a number of years ago, and it left a big impression on me. It's an impressive place, especially to a flatlander like me. I find the geologic history of this area fascinating as well.






The whitecaps are a clue as to how windy it was up here. I was very glad that there was a wall keeping me from blowing away.














































Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Umā said...

Beautiful. Though I've never been, Ithaca NY is supposed to have a lot of gorges. "Ithaca is Gorges" they say...

3/08/2010 10:09 AM  
Blogger JM said...

Have you ever visited the Washington side of the Gorge? Driving up Highway 14 is very scenic and there is some amazing hiking like Beacon Rock & Dog Mountain plus beautiful hotels like Skamania Lodge in Stevenson, WA.

www.skamania.com
www.cityofstevenson.com

3/08/2010 3:01 PM  
Blogger JC said...

m - I'd love to see some photos of Ithaca if you go there.

JM - I haven't been to the Washington side of the Gorge, but I would like to some day. I'm hoping the interval between now and my next trip up that way won't be as long as between my first and second trips - 12 years!

3/10/2010 9:36 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

If only everyone could hear how loud the falls are. I've done a fair amount of camping on the WA side of the gorge, wine tasting too. It's really worth a trip all its own though. Nice pictures.

3/10/2010 10:01 PM  
Blogger REENblack said...

Its been a long time since I've been on here, but had to post on this one! I LOVE all your photographs! (New and old!) I'm from Washington and miss the area terribly! The Gorge is such a beautiful place!!! Thanks for sharing!

5/15/2010 9:03 AM  
Blogger JC said...

Rb - Good to see you again! Thanks for the compliments. The Gorge is one of my favorite places that I have traveled to.

5/17/2010 9:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home