Sunday, January 24, 2010

Portland

I really enjoyed my trip to Portland. I had been there once before, but for less than 24 hours, so I was looking forward to being able to spend more time looking around. Not to mention that I was going to meet one of my bestest blog friends, Michelle.

I spent most of the plane ride up there reading Fugitives and Refugees: A Walk in Portland, Oregon by Portland author Chuck Palahniuk. It's a rather unorthodox combination of a travel guide and a memoir. It was fun to pick out things to do from reading this book, and I'm sure Michelle got tired of me saying "The Palahniuk books says...".

I saw some amazing scenery of the type that I rarely get to see, saw some great art, went to an amazing Chinese garden, went to the largest bookstore I've ever seen, arm wrestled a woman, and I had some really good food. I got to see a couple of good bands (one of which was from Texas of all places. Texas!) Hell, I even got to see a bald eagle!

And there was beer. Oh was there beer. I'm now obsessed with Rogue beer (Soba Ale, anyone?). You've got to love a town that offers growlers of beer to outgoing travelers at its airport (save room in your bag). I didn't get as much of the great Portland coffee, with a couple of exceptions, as I should have due to my difficulty in getting out and about at a reasonable hour. I did have my first ever Spanish coffee, though.

All in all it was a fun trip, and one that I hope to make again some day. A big "thank you" goes out to Michelle for being a good tour guide and drinking buddy, and for putting up with me for five days. Thank you!

I will post more about some of the things I did on this trip, but here are some photos to start with:













































Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Umā said...

Great photos! Who won the arm wrestling contest ;)
I've been bad and procrastinated about sending out your photo last week, but I haven't forgotten!

1/24/2010 1:14 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

I am relieved to see you got a photo of the Made in Oregon sign because I completely forgot about it. These photos are great. Can't wait to see the donut photo. Texas!

1/25/2010 8:59 PM  
Blogger Umā said...

I've finally sent out your photo!

2/03/2010 2:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home