Sunday, January 03, 2010

Blue Moon

This New Year's Eve there was a blue moon. Which nowadays means that it was the second full moon in a particular month (if you're interested in what a blue moon used to be defined as, this article explains it). I wasn't sure I was going to get to see it because it was cloudy and rainy most of the day here. But it finally started to clear up a couple of hours after sunset, so I did get to see it. When I looked at it, it was covered by some light clouds which gave an interesting effect to the light. I know I just did a post with some similar photos not too long ago, but this was of historical significance!



In celebration of the blue moon and New Year's Eve I picked up a special beer brewed for the occasion. I have to say I was a bit skeptical since Blue Moon is owned by a large brewing company, and the regular Blue Moon beer is a decent but not exemplary example of the Belgian White beer style. That said, though, I really enjoyed this beer (which is good considering how pricey it was). I love Belgian beers, and this one had lots of spiciness, tang, and yeasty goodness. Once I started drinking it though, I kind of forgot that the alcohol level was a hefty 8.2%, and maybe drank it a little bit faster than I should've.








Love that orange color


I think I'm in agreement with the general consensus that 2009 wasn't the best of years. On the other hand, it could've been worse. In any event, here's to a great 2010!

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Michelle said...

I am drinking a blue moon right now although it is not a grande cru.

How cool that you got a photo of a blue moon. My friend got married a few years back on a blue moon in June and that was the first time I learned what a blue moon was.

1/03/2010 10:05 PM  
Blogger Umā said...

I was a little horrified to find out Blue Moon is owned by Coors (it's Coors, right?) I'm going to look for this special brew anyway, I love Belgian ales!
Happy New Year!

1/04/2010 12:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home