Sunday, December 20, 2009

Seaworld

One of the things we did in San Diego was go to Seaworld. My sister was somehow able to get free tickets, so we decided to take advantage of them.

I hadn't been to Seaworld since I was a child. To me it has always seemed a little bit cheesier and more touristy than the zoo. Maybe because it has more of a focus on animals that are trained to do tricks? I kind of don't like the idea of training animals to do things that they wouldn't ordinarily do in the wild. But I can also see that maybe seeing these animals up close could possibly help inspire more conservation efforts. So I have some mixed feelings about the place. That said, I did enjoy getting to see some beautiful animals.






Orcas certainly are beautiful creatures.









They had a show that consisted of various animals performing, including this pig. This type of show doesn't bother me as much, because these are domesticated animals. And they said that all the animals in the show were rescue animals, so I think it's great that they were saved.

Dogs on a date.





After the show the gulls walked through looking for food.

They had some Clydesdales because until recently the park was owned by Anheuser Busch. Creeping corporatism!

Beluga whale

He am the walrus



This is an uderwater view of the same whale that was popping up out of the water.














This seal looks like he's making a concerted effort to ignore me.





These egrets were trying to steal fish that people were feeding to the seals.

You can even get a Shamu pretzel.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Umā said...

That Beluga whale is sooo adorable. Looking at him, I'm shocked that Disney hasn't anthropomorphized one into the star of an animated movie yet.

12/20/2009 9:45 PM  
Blogger Umā said...

ps: Border Collie!

12/20/2009 9:45 PM  
Blogger Walt Disney World said...

I am always passionate about the Dolphins & Whales at Sea World Orlando.

12/21/2009 1:13 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

That beluga wale looked delicious. Just kidding. I know what you mean about having mixed feelings. Zoos freak me out because the animals all seem to be in jail but I know a lot of people don't share my sentiments and would even be able to cite reasons why zoos are great.

The last penguin picture is great. What a fat bastard!

12/21/2009 9:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home