Thursday, November 12, 2009

Remodeling On A Budget

I saw this sign a couple of weeks ago, and I thought it was brilliant. Apparently this gas station used to be a Phillips 66, but it isn't any longer. Instead of replacing the old sign, the owners decided to just 'X' out the old one. I'm not sure why they chose to just cross out the '66' part instead of putting one big 'X' over the whole thing, but there it is. Out of curiosity, would you buy anything at this place?


Tomorrow after work I'm heading down to Austin for this:




I hope it's going to be an interesting presentation. Crumb is one of my all-time favorite films, and I love his comic work. I can't wait to get my hands on his illustrated version of Genesis. I'm less familiar with Spiegelman's work. I know about Maus, but I haven't read it. I hope to rectify that soon.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Michelle said...

The Phillips XX sign is so ghetto! So are you a comic book fan in general or just certain kinds of comics?

11/13/2009 10:37 PM  
Blogger Vedrana M. said...

interesting story about the sign...i hope you had fun!

11/15/2009 11:56 AM  
Blogger JC said...

M - I wouldn't call myself a huge comics fan - I don't own a lot of comics myself. I became interested in Crumb's work after I saw the documentary about him. I greatly admire his drawing skills, and I also admire how he goes for broke as far as subject matter. He's not afraid to draw something that comes from the deepest, darkest part of himself, and I admire that because I don't think I would be able to do that.

I have liked a lot of movies that I've seen based on comics - such as Persepolis, and I love animated movies. I have always wished that I was good at drawing, so I think I am really impressed by those who do it well, and I think it offers a different range of narrative possibilities than other storytelling formats.

V - I couldn't believe that sign when I saw it. I mean really, if you're going to spend all that money to buy a place, you should budget enough for a new sign! And I did have fun this weekend, thanks!

11/15/2009 10:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home