Thursday, February 18, 2010

Texas Snowmageddon

Last week we had a snowstorm that was extremely surprising in its magnitude. At DFW airport, 12.5 inches of snow were recorded! Now, I know that that doesn't compare to the big snowstorms that have hit the Northeast recently, but it's pretty much unprecedented here. The previous 1 day record for snowfall in this area was 7.8 inches, and that occurred way back in 1917 or somesuch. We average about 2 inches of snowfall per winter.
Another surprising aspect of this is that even up until the night before, the forecast only called for 1-3 inches of snow. Usually when that much snow is predicted here we get nothing, so I was actually not even expecting that much. It pretty much snowed steadily for almost 24 hours straight. Despite all this, the roads were actually not too bad because the temperature was hovering right at the freezing point most of the day. The roads were pretty much just wet. In fact, I've had commutes in the rain that were worse than my Friday morning snowy commute.
It was quite the spectacle, and something that I may not see around here again in my lifetime.



This was the view from my office window as the snow was coming down.











Believe it or not this photo was taken at 10:30 PM.




















Northern flicker




























The view from my office the next day



Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Umā said...

Wow, JC, looks like there's more snow there than here in Western MA! I love that second image down. And the beer cap snowman, lol.

2/19/2010 9:33 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

The poor birds were probably so confused.

I like that the snowman is sporting several Portland brew bottle caps. Nice!

2/22/2010 8:43 PM  
Blogger JC said...

m.h. - As soon as I saw that pattern in the snow I had to get a picture. I love how you can see how they came and went.

M - I think the flicker was confused because I have never seen one in my backyard before. Also, they're also mostly ground feeders, and I bet it didn't know what to make of the ground being covered by snow.

I'm glad you noticed the Portland bottle caps. I have been buying lots of Oregon beer lately. I'm trying to drink everything I missed while I was there!

2/22/2010 9:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home