Wednesday, October 07, 2009

Griffith Observatory

One of my favorite spots to visit in L.A. is the Griffith Observatory in Griffith Park. I love the Art Deco look of the observatory building, and I love the views of the valley below. Since I went there on the first of my recent trips, I probably would've given it a miss on the second trip 8 days later, but the sky was so much clearer on the second trip that I just had to go back.

Amazingly enough, this last trip was also the first time that I had been inside the observatory. Pretty much every other time I had been the building was closed. It was closed for nearly 5 years while undergoing an extensive renovation, and it just re-opened in late 2006. In fact, I was so used to it being closed that I was almost ready to leave until I realized "Hey, I can go inside!" The inside of the building is well worth seeing too. There are lots of cool exhibits and a wonderful mural painted on the inside of the main dome.








This was the view on the first of my recent trips. There was lots of smoke, haze & ash from the Station Fire.

And here is the view on the second visit. Much clearer, although you can see the smog layer.

First trip

Second trip

I love that little vantage point in the lower middle of the photo, and how the streets seem to go on forever.









Dome mural



These are famous physicists & astronomers.








Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Umā said...

What a beautiful spot! I think there's a group that hikes it every Sunday and sometimes does a moonlight hike as well.

10/08/2009 8:12 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Nice photos. Hope you had a good trip. You know Portland is only a 2 hour flight from LA and there are really cool things to see in Portland.

10/17/2009 12:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home