Monday, January 01, 2007

Good Riddance

I don't know what the hell is wrong with me. I have been a layabout bum the last couple of days. I have contracted the crud that seems to be sweeping the nation, but I don't think that's what is making me lazy. The words of John Travolta in Pulp Fiction keep running through my head, you know the part where he tells Samuel Jackson "you're gonna be a fuckin' bum." I had to force myself to go to the grocery store today. It makes me feel guilty for some reason. But you know what? I don't have any kids to take care of, nothing urgent to attend to. So if I wanna be a bum, then I'll be a bum! And since I work for the federal government I have tomorrow off because they're closing government offices in memory of Gerald Ford. Another chance at bum-dom.

There's something funny to me about that word - bum. It seems kind of antiquated, I don't hear people use it much. The only person I ever knew to use that word regularly was my best friend's mother when I was a kid (can't imagine why she said it around us so much). She was from New York, maybe it's used more frequently up there.

So why am I saying "Good riddance"? Because 2006 is over. 2006 sucked in a myriad of ways, so I'm not sorry to see it go. I know 2007 is going to be better.

7 Comments:

Blogger Anna said...

You get tomorrow off? Awesome! Take any bumming opportunity you can get - there aren't that many of them. I am not sad to see 2006 go either. Fingers crossed for 2007!

1/01/2007 9:07 PM  
Blogger hollibobolli said...

I say if you have the chance at bum-dom.. do it!! I would. I just can't anymore. I covet your bum status. I do.

I'm sorry 2006 sucked.

I enjoyed reading the Wal-Mart/fluffy hair escapade of time past.. it brought back good memories.

1/01/2007 10:48 PM  
Blogger paintergirl said...

2006 WAS sucky. We use crumb bum a lot in the house. Bum is very old fashioned. Scum is too but I won't go into that right now. Have fun, well get better and have a relaxing day off. What ever happened to the crazy Kroger lady?

1/02/2007 7:21 AM  
Blogger kristen said...

Yeah, I wasn't a fan of 2006 either, but I'm feeling hopeful on this 2nd day of the new year, that it will be better.
Enjoy being a bum, hobo is a word that NO ONE uses anymore and I've probably just dated myself.

1/02/2007 12:32 PM  
Blogger BJ said...

Well, the word bum is really a funny word. I remember hearing it quite a bit as a kid. Ah-hum! A long time ago. But, now when I hear "bum", I always think of ones "backside or hiney". And I love saying, "you need to get off of your bum" or something else that pertains to that kind of reference. And gees, I am so jealous that you were given off today! I work for the state and we didn't get off! I guess we aren't work a hoot! Hope that 2007 brings you much more happiness!

1/02/2007 5:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My students love to use "hobo." I don't know if they truly understand what it means, but they use it and think it's hilarious. I use "bum" often, but then again I like to use less-frequently-used words.

I spent the break being a bum, but then today, after being sort of bum-y at work, I started cleaning a bit at home. Meh...

1/02/2007 5:46 PM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

hope you feel better soon. nothing wrong with being a bum some of the time. that's what i did with my week off, but i'm not sick. yet.

1/04/2007 1:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home