Thursday, December 28, 2006

Even Steven?

It’s probably best to start from the end of my vacation. Yesterday after an uneventful flight home, I claimed my suitcase and caught the shuttle to the parking lot way too quickly. Actually, there was some good on the flight too – due to a family wanting to sit together and a not-completely full flight, I got to move 5 rows up and away from a small child hepped up on goofballs. This kid was out of control. His screaming was oh-so-much quieter after I moved. Anyway, I was due for some karmic correction. When I got to my car in the parking lot I noticed that the dome light didn’t come on when I opened the door. Not a good sign. The car wouldn’t even attempt to start. Hey, no problem, right? I’ve been here before.

I walked up to the office to see if I could get a jump start. They sent someone out with a jumping gizmo and hooked it up. Nothing. That battery was deader than fried chicken. Very providentially I was planning to meet Criss for dinner nearby. Not having a cell phone, however, could have been a problem. I asked the guy about using a phone in the office, but he let me use his cell phone. Criss was enroute to our appointed meeting place, and happened to be very close by when I called. So, luckily I had someone to help me get a new battery within 15 minutes of discovering I had a problem.

Criss talked me down from my panicky Wal Mart ledge, and took me to an auto parts store. The battery was procured in painless fashion, save for the pain to my bank account. I thought it would be good to eat dinner before attempting the minor car surgery just in case the patient developed complications. At least the evening would include a nice dinner, right? After being informed of the hour and forty minute wait at PF Chang’s, we ended up at this place. The enchiladas were OK, but the sautéed vegetable side was excellent. Unfortunately they botched Criss’s order.

After dinner it was time to tackle the car. Criss braved the wind and somewhat cold temperatures to hold the flashlight while I changed the battery. There was a tense moment when the positive terminal (that’s the red one :D) didn’t want to cooperate with the wrench, but luckily it pulled off without need of a loosened nut. And no, that’s not a double-entendre. With the new battery in place the car started right up. My post-mortem analysis indicated that I had left the dome light on when I parked the car. D’oh! Criss departed to attend RSK. Unfortunately I couldn’t go this week since I used up all my vacation time for Christmas and I don’t function well on two hours of sleep. Hopefully the karmic balance is restored at this point.

P.S. – To the person who brought 2 boxes of truffles to work today: You suck.

Labels:

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why so much rage at someone who brought truffles? Chocolate is always good - or am I missing something?

12/28/2006 2:42 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Glad you are back safe and sound!Your second date sounds memorable :) I've left my car in airport parking for a week only to return to a flat tire....thankfully I was able to hobble over to the gas station to air-it-up.

12/28/2006 5:32 PM  
Blogger JC said...

c - they were very good. I was expressing my resentment at being subjected to the holiday bad-for-you food hurdle that I thought I had successfully cleared! :)

b - thanks barb! I now carry an air compressor in my car to help with the flat tire scenario. It paid off last July!

12/28/2006 6:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Food is no bad for you. Do not blame the food. Chocolate has been known to prevent cancer. Trust me.

Embrace the truffles. Better yet, EAT THEM.

12/28/2006 11:15 PM  
Blogger JC said...

I'm a cancer fighting maniac - I ate 4 truffles yesterday!

12/29/2006 7:57 AM  
Blogger paintergirl said...

Mmmm truffles. I know what you are getting at jc-but I'm with Criss. Be one with the truffles. You don'e have to eat alot, just savour a couple. It's one of the finer things in life. You should take one to Criss.

Dead batteries, I just read your old story. You are hard on your car.
the walmart story is very amusing. I hate the almighty walmart as well. Have you seen the Walmart movie? I'm glad it all worked out, and you are home safe. How was the family gathering?

12/29/2006 7:57 AM  
Blogger kristen said...

Truffles are your friend! I'm glad your battery issues were easily solved and you even got to eat before surgery, that's a bonus!

12/29/2006 4:52 PM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

hepped up kids on airplanes. hey, didn't they make a movie about that?

1/04/2007 1:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home