Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Lion-Colored Hide

This morning it was a bit rainy and humid here. It’s been so dry for so long that the humidity hit me like a ton of bricks when I got out of my car at work. It felt almost jungle-like. The drought around here reminds me of a line from the novel Hannibal that stuck in my mind: “The Battle Creek Cemetery outside Hubbard, Texas, is a small scar on the lion-colored hide of central Texas in December”. Well, the lion-colored hide is here already.

School is off to a great start. I’m pretty much finished with the 1 hour class. There’s one group project submission that’s due tomorrow, and I have sent in my contribution. I think the TA has graded our article critiques and discussion questions pretty easily since I have gotten the maximum score possible on all of them. The other class is going well at this point, I got a 95 on the first big portion of the project. It’s nice to feel like I’m good at something, I haven’t felt that way in possibly years! I feel like I’m in my element when writing papers, I’ve always been good at it and have enjoyed it.

I am surprised though at how reluctant I am to look at the prof’s comments on my paper, which I need to do so I can make revisions on it before the next submission. I don’t know when I got so thin-skinned about receiving criticism. I guess I’ve always bristled at criticism, even when it’s warranted or well-intentioned. But I got a 95 for crying out loud so it should be relatively minor criticism and it still scares me! It’s time to toughen up. Maybe I should let you all critique my blog posts (all 3 of you! Or is it 2?). On second thought, um, no.

3 Comments:

Blogger Liberal Banana said...

I hate being criticized, too - no matter if what the person is saying about me is true or not. I always want a chance to clarify myself...

7/05/2006 7:55 PM  
Blogger kristen said...

It's hard to take critiques....I'm not good at it. Although lord knows I've had to defend my papers or work when I was in undergrad and grad school so there must be something about it I don't mind. (=
It's interesting isn't it, going as an adult how differently you care about your work and grades??

7/05/2006 8:36 PM  
Blogger Globetrotter said...

Ha, make it 3.

How the heck do you get a 95 for crying out loud? If you scream and wail do you get a 100? Kidding.

Found you over at Nikki's and found that I simply had to read a post from a blog with such an engaging title.

BTW, we all hate criticism, as beneficial as it can sometimes be to our growth.

7/06/2006 9:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home