Thursday, November 06, 2008

Go Plant A Tree

Ever since I've finished school, my weekends have seemed very lazy. Not that there's necessarily anything wrong with that, but it was starting to bother me a little bit. At the start of the weekend I'd always think of the things that needed accomplishing, but at the end of the weekend I always found myself not having accomplished any of them.

The weekend before last I rediscovered a fundamental truth about myself. I'm a list person. If I really want to get things done I have to write them down on a list and cross them off when I'm done with them. So I made a short list. No need to discourage myself with a large list for now.

One of things on my list was to transplant a little cedar tree that sprouted in my front yard under one of my shrubs to my backyard. I couldn't leave it where it was because it was underneath a ligustrum and right next to an electrical junction box. I hated to just toss it, so I decided to replant it. At first I was wondering how it got underneath the ligustrum to begin with, but then I remembered that birds spread the seeds by (ahem) pooping them out. And birds like to hang out in the ligrustrum.

It took me a lot longer to dig the tree up than I thought it would. Cedar trees have really deep roots, which I guess is why they do well in dry conditions. Also, I couldn't really use a shovel for the most part because the ligustrum was in the way, so I had to do a lot of digging with a hand trowel. It was definitely a workout! I try to keep in decent shape, but I was quite sore for a couple of days from the digging effort.

Anyway, the tree is now planted in the backyard. I'm hoping it will survive, but I'm not sure if it's going to make it. I did some damage to the roots while trying to dig it up. We shall see. At least I finally accomplished something on a weekend!


The tree in its new location


The tree in the background is one that I planted almost 4 years ago. I moved it from a nearby field when it was about the same size as the one in the foreground. Notice how they are slightly different colors? The new one is kind of blue.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Vedrana M. said...

little cedar tree looks beautiful. i hope it will like the new location :)

11/07/2008 6:41 AM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

that's cool. good luck. i hope it thrives there. if you have lots of free time on weekends, you could learn to knit....

11/07/2008 9:33 AM  
Blogger luzie said...

let's hope the little one survives.

and i hear ya on the lists.. i need them in order to get done what i have to do. i'm hopeless without lists.. sigh.

11/07/2008 12:56 PM  
Blogger REENblack said...

I hope it makes it! It seems big enough that it will have a good chance!

I NEED lists or nothing gets done!

11/07/2008 2:32 PM  
Blogger rev joe said...

water,water,water.maybe mulch, but water and maybe wrap a little blanket around it. ;)

sick with head cold,it's me pg

i love your sweet trees. have you thought of joining arbor day. you get 10 little sapplings. i'm anxiously waiting for mine.

and an aries is lost without a list brother!

11/07/2008 7:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home